Madeira Legislative Assembly marks 500th anniversary
The Diario reports that the Madeira Legislative Assembly is marking the 500th anniversary of Parliament building with a new image and two conferences.
The construction of the building that today houses the Legislative Assembly of Madeira was completed in February 1519. The project was part of one of King Manuel’s measures in 1497 to incorporate Madeira into the “Crown Forever” heritage, which dictated the construction of a Customs Office. This building, once a large ground-floor dispatch room with Gothic arcades and sculptured capitals, has been a National Monument since 1943.
On 4 December 1987, the Customs building became the seat of the Legislative Assembly of Madeira, moving from Avenida Zarco, where the first parliamentary session took place on 19 July 1976. It is this historical and cultural importance of 500 years that the Legislative Assembly of Madeira marks today on the 43rd Anniversary Commemoration Day.
The historical landmark is also associated with the new graphic image of the Legislative Assembly of Madeira, designed by architect Paulo David, one of the Portuguese architects of national and international renown.
The festive program begins with the opening session of the photographic exhibition “Another time of the same skin”, with photographs from the collection of the Regional Archive and Public Library of Madeira, which portray some of the building’s history in the last century.
This opening session will be attended by the Vice-President of the Regional Government, Pedro Calado, representing the President of the Madeiran Executive, Miguel Albuquerque. Below is the building as it is today.