Madeira Islands Open Golf Championship returns to Santo da Serra

The Madeira Islands Open – Portugal returns to Santo da Serra Golf this season for the first time since 2008 tomorrow (10 May 2012 to 13 May 2012)

In the intervening three years, Porto Santo Golfe on the neighbouring island of Porto Santo hosted the tournament, which was won last year by Northern Irishman Michael Hoey.

Santo da Serra, designed by Robert Trent Jones Snr in 1991, was the venue for the Madeira Islands Open for 12 seasons, from 1997 to 2008, having taken over from Campo de Golfe de Madeira, which hosted the first four editions beginning in 1993.

Santo da Serra Golf  (EuropeanTour)

I could find no entry pricing, and contacted the club Pro, who quickly replied “Entry is Free all visitors are welcome and we have a free shuttle service from Funchal”

12 Responses to Madeira Islands Open Golf Championship returns to Santo da Serra

1. Steve Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:43 am #

This has come as a huge surprise to me as I booked a trip to Madeira to see this tournament next weekend !!!!!

This is the date (May 17th to 20th) as still advertised on Madeira tourism sites such as Madeira-live and Madeira-web and still the date advertised on the Madeira Guide and Statistics link from this site !!!

MADEIRA TOURISM – PLEASE SORT YOUR ACT OUT.

2. Jon Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

So sorry Steve – they’ve done this before with other events, the car rally and even the flower festival one year! A LOT of upset people…..latest link that I have found as follows (http and www removed):

visitmadeira.pt/?s=menu&e=/menu/news/1006-Madeira-Island-Open&i=eng

Quite a good site with many good links (Incl Santo da Serra Golf) and information this is an “official” regional “tourism” site, hosted by the goverment agency = a huge improvement on their old site and current “newsletter” gobblygook.

Madeira-live is actually “Strawberry World” – a tour operator offering hotels, cars and Island tours etc……

Hot and sunny here today….lovely.

3. Admin Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Sorry Steve – can actually confirm that I am not losing my marbles (well – not at least in this instance). I also found a quite a number of references to 17th-20th May and really had to double and treble-check before posting. The European Tour site seems the most reliable: http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/tournament/index.html

I’m going to make it even worse when I tell you that I left the cloud in Funchal and drove up to Santo da Serra this morning to enjoy the opening day in glorious weather – I think I was the only spectator wandering around the lower part of the course.

Because of the confusion and lack of details over pricing I seem to have made contact at a fairly senior level at the club so if there is anything we can do to further your complaint please let me know. It goes without saying that if we find any incorrect links they are removed from this site – although I can’t find the one you refer to?

4. martin Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Another example of a government trying to employ within the public sector managers and staff without the enthusiasm needed to encourage visitors.
    This is because their salary and wages arrive every month despite being an inadequete or deficiente,
    If your job is perforance dependent then the results sparkle.
    Sell the tourist office and the building Madeira and let the private tourosm sector provide this service at their cost

5. Steve Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Admin

If you click on Madeira guide and statistics link then click on the picture of the golf course in the middle of the page it then tells you about the Madeira islands open at Santo Serra from 17th to 20th May 2012.
    Also if you type Madeira Islands open 17th to 20th May 2012 into Google you get stacks of sites stating this as the date including the European tour golf site !

Please can you enquire from your contact at the club as to why the date changed and why the tourist sites never publicised this change.

I am still looking forward to our trip to Madeira but am really annoyed at missing out on this tournament having been to last year’s event at Porto Santo.

I do honestly agree with Martin though in that I feel the tourist ministry’s promotion of Madeira is in general a joke and could be run better by infant schoolchildren.

6. Admin Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

I agree, and please accept our apologies Steve – in our defense it is very much a link “within a link”, “within another link” on our site – one that has been there three or more years which will now be removed as unreliable. However we have only given the correct dates on the blog. On a Google search you are quite correct – a huge number of returns refer to next weekend – I have already asked the organisers for an explanation and will get back to you as soon as they respond.

7. Jon Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Excellent “blog” work – indeed this is surely what it’s all about.

I have long been a critic of the pathetic and woefull services (?) offered by the Madeiran Tourist board….

I am ashamed and reluctant to mention their “services” to our guests – a difficult position in that I am on one hand advocating Madeira and on the other denegrating the services provided – that is why, Deb and I, in house, offer our own services = unbiased and informative, tailored to individual requirements.

I have repeatedly approached the tourist board with offers of translation, decent and proper English, and various other services only to be stonewalled with “we know what we are doing, we do not need your help”….. well, as Martin says, they are merely public servant puppets doing a (bad) job for a fixed salary. And as an business person knows., the front desk/point of contact people make or break the deal – the tourist office in downtown Funchal is a classic example of a pathetic, lethargic and state run monopoly that does nothing to promote Madeira or aid holiday makers in any way.

Well done Admin, may you get to the bottom of the misinformation supplied = it truly is not good enough, particulary when MANY of us are doing our level best to actively promote Madeira properly, responsibly and carefully……

We’ll all help you to see the Dolphins, Whales, Levadas and the real Madeira ,,,,,
    Otherwise, you can always see the white elephants in Madeira = just visit the tourist board in Funchal.

8. Admin Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:14 am #

“Madeira Guide and Statistics” link now removed.

9. martin Friday, May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Well there you go!
    The Tourist Board has never mentioned a Zoo
    Thanks to Jon I can now search it out.
    Have they any meerkats? I like meerkats.

10. Jon Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:22 am #

A couple of flying pigs maybe Martin…….

11. Jon Friday, May 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Can’t do MeerKats just mere cats……..promise.

12. martin Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 10:40 pm #