Sunfish found at Praia Formosa

According to the Diario an ocean sunfish was found this morning at Praia Formosa. The newspaper claims that this unusual but others disagree – pointing out that they are common in the temperate waters around Madeira and in particular the North Atlantic Gulf Stream.

The sunfish is the largest bony fish in the world, reaching more than 3 meters in length, and a weight of over two tons. Obviously this one is a “tiddler”!

8 Responses to Sunfish found at Praia Formosa

1. Vic Monday, April 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

same as Dawn ,i’ve a couple of from “microsoft” offering to solve “problems ” on my PC.

also been getting a lot of “cold calls” on our UK mob from PPI firms offering to clear up my accident claims-they even claim to know how much i will receive !

2. jayne Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Did anyone manage to get a bargain at the Pingo sale yesterday? I have never seen anything like it! I couldn’t even enter the store – what was going on? Was it really all half price?

3. admin Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

for who had 50€ to spend, it was all half price with a minimum spend of 100€. Booze and everything included, bedlam throughout Portugal, traffic jams, squabbles over trolleys, fights, injuries, and now challenges to the legality of the promotion, that Pingo says it plans to repeat.

4. martin Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

If anybody needs parcels sent from britain to Madeira that are collected from your door and delivered to the door in Madeira, taking about 7/10days try http://www.parcelflight.co.uk.
    They are freight brokers who make use of DHL, DPD, Fedx, UPS and TNT,
    I have sent cartons and even a roll of carpet, with weights up to 35 kilos (they take more).
    Average price of £29.00
    smaller is less of course
    They have a quick quote system which is easy to use and the paperwork is easy too.
    Quick consignments are quite expensive but cheaper than using the DHL depots in WH Smith and the like.
    With 2o cartons so far sent and no damage ( I use a proper tri wall carton)and can be tracked as far as Lisbon.
    For some reason the systems wont track after the mainland, but allow 3 days from Lisbon to your door.
    I even put our suitcase in a carton, to save wheezing in the easyjets queue at Gatwick (was Stansted) and it was delivered in 8 days for £23,99.

5. ellen Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

From the Diario:
    In a joint statement, the NAV (air controllers) partial strikes will be held on 11, 17, 18, 24 and May 25, in three periods of two hours per shift (from 07:00 to 09: 00, from 14:00 to 16:00 and from 21:00 to 23:00 hours of the continent and Madeira).

The new pre-strike notices are following a period of five days of partial strikes, in April, which caused flight delays and cancellations.

6. jayne Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

The Pingo stunt must have had a big impact on the likes of the Sa supermarket. I have visions of frozen food thawing as the customers wait to check out! Ice cream leaving a slippery trail! Whilst the bargain hunters fight it out.

7. Admin Friday, May 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I have to say that is brilliant advice Martin – thank you. I have investigated this personally on a number of occasions – particularly since ARMAS ceased the ferry service – and never come up with anything as good as this.

8. halloween costumes Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

I do enjoy the manner in which you have presented this issue plus it does provide me some fodder for consideration. Anyway, thank you for this excellent point.