Funchal Cruise Port busy: Saturday, 31st March, 2012

Madeira’s WHITE GOLD

The Madeira Islands became a major producer and supplier of sugar what was historically known as the ‘white gold’.

Its lands were very difficult to cultivate and slaves were brought in from Africa to work in the sugar cane farms and mills. In the 15th and 16th centuries sugar was considered a luxury and as plantations expanded this industry became very important to the local economy.

Madeira Sugar was known all over Europe and attracted many traders and merchants who settled in Funchal and its surroundings, spreading as far as Ponta do Sol, Calheta, Ribeira Brava; all areas becoming big producers of sugar cane.

Funchal port being a busy sugar trading centre was frequently visited by merchants who would trade various products such as tools, cloth, clay, iron, meat, salt and olive oil all in exchange for sugar. Another very important trade was with Flanders.

Madeira’s sugar was traded for unique works of art
Sugar was traded for unique works of art like the Sé Cathedral Altar Painting and the artistic wooden ceiling, the Flemish collection is still found today at the sacred art museum.

In the year 1500 Madeira Island was the largest sugar exporter in the world

..but, by the end of the century the sugarcane production fell due to over-production and a cane disease that destroyed most of the fields.

Today three sugar cane processing factories still exist and in early April their machines process the raw constituents of honey (cane syrup) molasses and rum. These factories can be visited at Ribeiro Sêco in Funchal, Calheta and Porto da Cruz. But, it’s best to contact the owners before arrival.

Calheta’s Engenhos

Film of Calheta’s Engenhos on the hill before Calheta Town’s white sand beaches

Calheta’s white sand beaches

What’s happening this weekend? includes:

7th Sugar Cane Agricultural Fair in Canhas, region of Ponta do Sol on the hottest, sunniest south-west coast of Madeira

Quorum Ballet, Funchal 31 de Março

21H30, Auditório do Centro de Congressos do Casino da Madeira será title of performance “Correr o Fado”:

9 Responses to Madeira’s WHITE GOLD; Calheta’s Engenhos; Funchal Cruise Port: busy; What’s happening this weekend?; Quorum Ballet, Funchal 31 de Março; 7th Sugar Cane Fair, Canhas, Ponta do Sol;

1. abbo Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Jayne says:
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:03 pm
    Love the film by Hugo – how does he do that – making the camera move slowly but the other things fast?! Fantastic….

2. abbo Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Jayne says:
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm
    Can anyone help me with a question? I want to buy a Euro millions ticket but my Lotto account knows I am abroad. Where and how can I buy one in Madeira? Thank you..

3. abbo Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 5:46 pm #

martin says:
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm
    As petrol goes up on sunday I joined in on the substantial queue that had formed on the Via Rapida near Garajau
    30 euros will take me back and forward for a week or 2.
    Are the governments of Europe wise to keep increasing taxes on road fuel?
    Will this help stimulate the economies?
    They must know better than me and everybody else I know!!!!

4. Admin Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm #

Complete aside – and nothing to do with Madeira at all ! – but this video is very very slick indeed – and very entertaining – particularly if you are an iPad fan
    It actually worth watching a couple of times!

5. Betty Sunday, April 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm #

Re Euro Millions, Jayne – they sell these tickets in the little shop on the front in Ribeira Brava that sells cd’s etc., or of course you can get them in Funchal at Anadia shopping mall newsagents shop (opposite the flower market) and some little news stands too.

Good luck.

6. Jayne Monday, April 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Hi Betty, thanks for that and I know the shop you mean in Anadia. I will give you a share if I am lucky… :)

7. Betty Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Jayne – Go for it girl. Maybe a change in where you buy your ticket might just bring you luck!!

8. how to Handmade Gala handmade Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 1:49 am #

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i am happy to express that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much for sure will make certain to don?t omit this website and provides it a look on a continuing basis.

9. Camere frigorifice Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 1:49 am #

Excellent issues altogether, you simply gained a emblem new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your publish that you made a few days in the past? Any positive?